Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Freesia - rearing instead of backing

Freesia was a twin filly. She just turned 10 yo. She is very smart. When she was a foal she would whinny when all her siblings were having their ground work saying "me, me, let me do it" She would then proceed to do all the exercises with out being asked. During saddling I would take a saddle into the pasture and put it on a horse. Freesia would come in between for the saddle to be on her. So it would go, saddle on Freederic, saddle on Freesia, saddle on Wondermann, saddle on Freesia...
She had a bad experience when she was young on tying to the rail and this has persisted. She can not be tied up especially to that rail. Applying the Clinton Anderson method I was amazed to find she would not back up. For the last few days we have been working on taking a few steps back. Yesterday she started rearing and bolting off when I asked her to back. This is surprising. In the dwindling evening light we resolve the backing issue by patience and repetition. I should have stopped there but I decided I would desensitize her to the whip whacking the ground 12-15 feet from her side. FREAK OUT!! It was like she was attacked to a 10,000 Volt line. Fifteen minutes later she finally stood and relaxed with the whip whacking the ground on the L, R and in front of her. OK it is dark now! When you start something make sure you have time to finish it.
It is fascinating and interesting to find the holes in the older horses training.

No comments:

Post a Comment