Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rupert - advice for next step

Linda is helping Rupert and I. It has been 10 years since I backed my last batch of foals. Linda has a big half clyde mare named Bailey. Years ago when she got Bailey as a 4 yo Premarin Mare, she could barley be haltered. She worked her on the ground for years and now has a nice riding horse. Now Bailey's foal is a 5 yo colt named Bambino who Linda has worked extensively on the ground. She is up on all the different ground training methods and watches RFD TV video of Clinton Anderson.
She had recommended that Ruperts initial round pen work be on the lunge line. This worked very well. My previous foals (8 of them) all went into the Round pen w/o a line attached and worked free. The big difference is they had all been weaned. They learned to turn to the outside, turn to the inside and joining up. Back then I was very fortunate to be introduced to a young man from Colorado named Tyler McCann. I had just returned from visiting my sister in England. While we where camping one of her friends daughters was reading a book by Monty Roberts. "What you haven't heard of Monty Roberts?" There I was in Scotland sitting by Loch Linne reading a fascinating story. Wow it made so much sense. I had been a horse person for 20+ years and I had never been introduced to this. When I got home I was telling my friend about it when her daughter who was visiting said; " My boyfriend does that. I will bring him by tomorrow." Tyler had be en raised with Ray Hunt as his mentor. He showed me so much in the few days he was on Maui that I invited him back for a clinic. Little did I know he was still in High school. A nice young man with a wonderful feel for horses. This lead me to study Ray Hunt, Tom Dorrance, John Lyons and Monty Roberts. This all happened around 1997-2003.

Linda advises don't forget to use your body language to send him out on the lunge. Point to the direction you want him to go. Bend forward at the waist toward his hip that you want him to go.
Wave the wand 3 times in the air over his hind quarters, If he doesn't go you tap him 3 times. Usually they will go on the first tap. If he goes well on the large circle good. If he doesn't then you make the line shorter to the middle range, if that doesn't work then you walk him on the short line just out of the kicking zone at the walk. Don't be afraid to let him know with the wand he needs to stay out of your space. The Reason is, you can not have a 1200 lb animal in your lap. He must respect your space. I am constantly having to remind Bambino to stay out of my space.

Yes I remember years ago I could not lunge Divine. She would drag me all over the arena. John Lassetter watched us for about 5 minutes, took hold of the lunge and shortened it to 15 meters and she lunged like a dream. "When you have control on the shorter circle, then you can let her out a little longer. The moment she starts dragging you around you shorten her up and put her to work."

Linda says once he lunges well, next we have to work on changing eyes. On the lunge I can send him forward along the rail, then ask to change directions, send him past me as I stand in the middle of a figure 8. I remember doing this with Tyler.

Then free work in the Round Pen
Then Trailer Loading and Unloading. He does this but has never had the doors closed or the trailer moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment