Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June 7-13 Rupert's Progress


Worried start, blasting around - More relaxed in top photo at the end

I put Rupert in the round pen "off the line"and followed the steps in Clinton's First episode #1.
#1 Get him to go in one direction.
#2 Then Get him to turn to the inside
#3 Get him next to turn consistently to the inside
#4 Follow and look at you with 2 eyes
Well as you know he isn't weaned. So mom is whinnying 20 feet away, He is flying around the arena, trying to stop and turn when he gets half way to the far side. After about 5-10 minutes he starts to not stop and goes all the way around. He goes well to the Left (more comfortable side) so that's all I do on Day 1. On Day 2 we start off line going to the Left. He is still calling and Mom is racing back and forth along the fence. Rupert is looking out at his mom. He settles slightly quicker and I get some turns to the inside. I do get him to go reliably to the right. Good boy
Day 3 I try to lead him but he puts his head up, prances ahead of me dragging me back toward his mom. Yup that was intimidating. I didn't find the CA video about that until a few days later and the solution is so simple. Just walk in a small circle until his feet quiet down. Wow I have been handling horses 30 years and no one taught me that.Day 4 Big break through he did everything like a dream and stopped, gave me 2 eyes and took a step forward.
I Worked for 2 days so Rupert got a break.
Day 7 : Nightmare on Elms street: Sweaty all over and totally blowing me off, not licking and chewing, not giving me 2 eyes. I cant just stop and reward this disrespect. I keep hearing Clinton's voice, "I canter them right off because it just all takes so much longer if you don't." So I am having him go, change directions and I keep trying to stop and offer him the chance to stop moving but he is looking out and concerned about his mom. After 45 minutes he finally licks and chews and sort of comes to me. Hummm I had better stop here, he is a baby and out of shape and I don't want to blow any tendons.
Yes at 4 yo he is a 16.2h warmblood. They do not stop growing until they are 5.5-6 yo which is why I have waited until he is 4. Research has found TB and QH joints are closed at 3 yo, Warmblood joints close at 4 yo and WB/TB cross's at 3.5 yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment