Tuesday, June 23, 2009

One Rein Stop - Every rider needs to know this!

I went trail riding with Linda and Bambino a few weeks ago. Linda has introduced me to Clinton Anderson. At the end of the ride, as we came out of the pineapple field and approached my house, my herd all ran to the road. It wouldn't have been so bad if they just stopped but they slammed on the brakes, rolled back, bucked, squealed and took off. Kalae and Bambino bolted forward on the asphalt. Linda instantly grabbed mane with one hand and applied a one rein stop effectively planting her Clyde in place. Mean while we bolted forward, head high, not yielding to the reins but stopped after 30 feet because Kalae is a awesome horse.
Well I saw the video on the one-rein stop just a few days ago. Clinton shows how you practice sliding a hand 2/3 the way down the rein. You just ride around, slide left hand, slide right hand so it is second nature. From the halt slide the left hand and bring it to your hip, bringing the head around, release and do it again. Then do the right rein.  Then try at the walk. I practice this on Kalae 13 yo and Freederic. 10 yo.
It really helps with Freederic because he wont stop. This is the one thing I have been working on for a few months. I ride him toward the fence and do a down transition so the fence helps. He is too stiff in the neck and he sets his jaw when you try to stop. The one rein stop has worked wonders. He is a really huge guy at 17h and when he spooks and darts off in just a few strides you are across the arena. I actually shut down a spook. Yipee.
Every rider needs to know the one-rein stop. It is just amazing no one has taught me this after 30+ years riding. This is what I love about horses. I am always learning, there is so much to learn. It is so exciting to have this new opportunity to train a youngster.

No comments:

Post a Comment