Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rupert - The training begins Week 1-3

Rupert will be 4 yo on June 16th. This is a log of his training adventures.

3 weeks ago Rupert entered Kindergarten. He has not been weaned and all prior work over his life has been done in the proximity of his mom. When he was young he learned how to wear a halter, lead fairly well, back up on command, move his haunches L or R, Stand for trimming, go in and out of a trailer, and wear a blanket.
He does not know how to tie. Does not like water at all!, has never had a surcingle or girth on, Has not been away from his mom.
Previous attempts to have him separate from his mom result in all out pandemonium on both their parts. Rupert can not focus on anything else, trys to get out of the round pen or arena and becomes unleadable.
I was encouraged by Linda who said Bambino, her 17+ hand part Clyde was never weaned either. He is 5 and still with his mom but goes out on his own now. "I just put him to work and in 2 weeks he got over it."
I started leading Rupert in the evenings. It was obvious I needed to establish his trust and become the leader. I always make sure he has at least 30 min to 1 hour to gallop and play before I start work. Week 3 he does basic leading, stopping, backing, labyrinth work before going out of his pasture.
Week 1: We stop, back, turn haunches L or R and lead going in any direction.
Week 2: A ground labyrinth is added. A series of poles he has to walk through, stop, back and
turn in. This went quite well and he was very relaxed.
Week 3:- Now to expand his boundary and remove him from the pasture with his mom into
the adjoining area. This went well the first day as he was just 10-15 feet away going
up and down the fence line. The next day I ventured further, up to 30 feet away.
As soon as I went around a tree he became anxious. Suddenly 18 h tall and dancing
on the end of the line trying to run over me. I was trying to halt and back him w/o
success. Yikes he is big. Closer to the fence he settles down and is good the remainder
of the time.
- This evening I intend to repeat the further away scenario but want him to be more
comfortable so I turn out a calm mare into the pasture he will be in. This works very
well. He is calm, does all his ground work and it was a success even w/ his mom
calling and pacing the fence line.
- Today Rupert enters the round pen to lunge. I have a halter on and a 25 foot soft
nylon line. I walk, back and halt around the pen. Then I ask him to walk forward to
the left. He stops to eat grass. I tap him on the quarters and he bolts forward.
He stops 50 feet later and eats grass, repeat scenario and by the 3rd time he doesn't
try it again. Very calmly he trots and walks. He is licking his lips. Great I will stop
here. I am very happy and scratch his belly and lead him calmly back to his mom
who had been whinnying and running up and down the fence. The round pen is
approximately 20 feet from the fence line. Using the line in the pen helped prevent
him from sticking his head through the open rails and from frequently changing
directions and running willie nilly.
- Today I will try to lunge both directions if he goes well initially. Yes he lunges well to
the left. It is way more difficult to the R. He immediately turns around to go L. After
3 attempts I realise I have not lead him from the R side. I try to lead him but he
keeps trying to put me on his Left. I shorten the line up and manage to get him to
walk around the track of the RPen with me just out of the kicking range. This seems
to work. He walks and trots well to the Left. I am introducing words walk and Trot,
and burrrp for stop. A kiss for forward. He is very sensitive and I make sure I lightly
touch him with the whip. I put a saddle blanket all over his back and neck, face with
no problem, he is calm. Belly scratches for a reward.
-Today I work him at noon, just before feeding, All the horses are out of their
paddocks into the pastures. I did not hand walk him thought the labyrinth. I halter
him and walk, open and go through a gate, halt, walk 10 feet, halt and back and right
into the RP. He lunges well to the L but has much more energy. Calling occasionally
to his mom who is calling and running down the fence. To the right he keeps turning
around quickly. I try to get the line low so it goes back half way between his hock
and tail dock. He knows the exercise where you but the lead behind his butt and pull
on it and he has to turn toward the pressure and turn facing you. This works on the
lunge line. However sometimes he is quicker than I am and gets the line high and it
wraps to the middle of his neck. The first couple of times he shakes and lowers his
head and slaps his front feet down in a little tantrum like activity. He is pulling me
around the R.pen. I don't want to let go of the rope and have him get scared of it
dragging behind him. I do drop the whip and hang on with both hands. Lucky I have
long legs. Then I get smart. Instead of trying to stop him I just cut him off at the
pass and get big ( hands up) and have him turn to the outside to go Right and thus
unwrapping the rope from his neck. Of course because he is excited and animated
everything is happening quickly. This goes on for 10 minutes. Finally he walks and
licks his lips. So we accomplished a lunge to the right. Walk, trot and halt on
command to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment