Thursday, August 6, 2009

Detail that Trailer and check the floor




I called Dad and asked if he had a brush on a long handle, I wanted to clean my horse trailer.


"No, don't you think about doing that, you are just getting over the flu. I will bring my jet washer down". An hour later Dad arrives. He has his jet washer, bucket with soap, cleaning mitts, ladder, hose, tools. He cranks up the engine and starts blasting the exterior. "I'll just clean inside and be out of the wind." We argue a bit but I get to scrub some. "You have to quit or I wont spray the trailer" He is smart. :) The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Hard head but hard working.
We pull out the mats and use a knife blade to check each wooden plank. The hard wood is sturdy and the knife doesn't penetrate the wood at all. The angle iron supporting the floor is top shape. You know you can check the floor too by bringing the horse in here before you put the mats back and see if the boards bow. There is some rust on the roof, sides and at the internal seam on the wall where it meets the floor at the rear. "This is just surface rust, we will use a wire brush, treat it with "Amazing" and then when it is dry we can shoot it with some paint. This trailer has lots of life left in it. I have seen some of those new aluminum trailers flex like crazy when they go out into the pasture. They are fine for long distance, highway driving. Your steel trailer is what 16 yo. You only go 10 minutes down the Hwy." (I secretly wish for new trailer with a tack room. In fact I could live in a living quarters trailer just fine. I only need a house to sleep in - I am outside all day. Wait, scratch that - my recliner and large TV were nice this last week while I vegged with the flu - OK I love my house)
That afternoon I loaded the biggest horse I had before putting the mats back. Come on down Freederic the Great 17H 1400lb. The boards rang out as he stepped in but they didnt move.
FYI Dad is 84 yo. This week he repaired Danny's dryer. Bought and installed a new dishwasher, then 2 days later a new water heater. Repaired his jet washer which was clogged. Mowed Caroles 2 acre. Picked and shipped flowers another day. The washed and cleaned my trailer.
The week prior he was down at the beach house repairing the washing machine and dryer, sanding the porch. Removed the light fixtures for ease of painting.....


No comments:

Post a Comment