Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mid July- Colt Starting Progress- PLASTIC BAGS ARE ALIENS


I was just about to put the surcingle on Rupert when I happened to watch a Clinton Anderson TV show about spooky objects and introducing the plastic bag. Clinton said he never got on a colt unless they were desensitized to the plastic bag. I am sure glad I saw that video because Rupert is having a " COW", as in big black and white Jersey Cow, over the bags. I have spent all week working on it and only yesterday did he touch it with his nose. I still can not get it any where near his body. Geeze he is sensitive. If the water issue was scary. This is magnatude 10 X more scary.
I thought I better order Clinton Andersons Colt starting DVDs because I would not want to leave a important step out. His TV shows do not show the actually saddling and I have heard mention surcingle and boat bumpers. So The DVDs are on their way.
PLASTIC BAGS ARE GOING TO EAT ME!!!
Hooh man - the first day he was snorting and trying to dash left and right. All I did was hold the handy stick( with 2 bags on the end of it) in front of me and try to lead him behind me. The correct way to introduce a spooky object is to have it retreat from the horse per Clinton Anderson. It is not a threat when it is going away from the horse. I worked in the round pen for an hour. Low energy first desensitizing, doing some lunging for respect then backing and turning the HQ and 4 hand. Then following the bags. I got to the point I could wave the bags in front of me from Left to right. I was beginning to wonder if I was doing it right but I just thought I cant quite while he is uptight, he has got to relax. Granted it was quite breezy causing the bags to whip around.
The next day was equally as difficult with the bags. Tight frog lips or as CA says "Fish Butt". Lips so tight they are water proof like a fish's butt. Another hour of work. But I was able to lead from both the right side and left side. He is definitely not wanting me on his right side. It is more spooky when I am on his right side. He did take off a few times and get away from me in the round pen when I was on the right. Snort, snort, big boinking steps but he would disengage and stop facing me.
Day 3 Much better today. And the wind has died down so the bags are not whipping on their own so much. I could wave the bags L and R. Change directions and eyes much better. But he still has his "Frog lips" lips tight together, a little anxious about the bags. I did manage to finally walk backwards with the bag between me and him and wave it R and L. He was snorting and more unsure. Head down taking tentative steps and weaving right to left. Not able to hide behind me! Finally I was able to stop. Hold the stick up and while holding the bags he actually sniffed and lipped the bags.
Day 4 - The Plastic Bags are AWOL -Rupert had someone hide the bags. I can not find the stick and bags. They are gone. Did a big dirt devil whirl them away to OZ? OK Pony's return the bags! Rupert is happy! With a dark horizon, rainbow and immanent rain: we hurried up and just worked on putting his head down to pressure on the poll region. This is for ease of bridling. We worked on introducing moving his HQ away from constant pressure which he did very well. He doesn't mind a rope around his barrel pulled tight. He can have the saddle blanket over his head, neck and back with out any problem.
Approaching another week, making slow but steady progress when compared to where we were on June 1st. I just have to put it in perspective, compare it to the start and be patient.
One thing I have learned is to make sure he has front protective boots and bell boots on. I didn't when I first started working him because he was too spooky. I put them on at 2 weeks of work. As I led him off the tie rail he was taking big high steps with his front feet. He almost ran me over because he was looking at them with his right eye and spooking left into me on a circle. He had just enough round pen work to remain in control and not run me over but it was close. Sure glad I had them on for the plastic bag work though. His legs were hitting the round pen pipes as he frantically dashed around.
This week I also learned to never be with out my Handy stick. I had tied the plastic bags to my Handy stick, but when working on the other exercises I was just using the lead rope. He darted off and kicked out at me when the stick and bags outside the RP rattled and scared him. Thus I put the plastic bags on a old shortened lunge whip so I could have my Handy stick available.
* PS: I wear my helmet during all this ground work and always when riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment