Friday, October 30, 2009

Riding revelation - Balance and a strong core

I was talking to my sister today and said I had the most amazing, round, light and easy canter on Freederic a few days ago. I was riding in a Pesoa jumping saddle because Julie had been riding him and I was hopping on. I felt like I was perched up on a post. I can not remember ever riding in a postage stamp like this. Amazingly it was so easy to canter in. It seemed my legs might be a little more in front of me and I was more upright.
Carole said Yes, I just had the same revelation when riding Wondermann in the Lassetter clinic. I was riding in a different saddle and when cantering I had to be super strong in my core to be able to do all the geometric exercises and remain in balance. When I got home that muscle memory followed over into my ride with my horse and it was a fabulous ride. I think for you it was you had to be stronger in your core to balance in the jumper saddle. You were more in balance and thus the horse was more in balance.
That's it! Amazing. I have been riding Freederic for a year and this is the canter I have been trying to get. Just think how much a subtle improvement in balance has affected the horse's balance.
Carole's parting statement was "Just think how difficult it is for a horse with a floppy rider."

No comments:

Post a Comment